Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why some actors should stick to acting.

We all know Hollywood loves to showcase crossover talent. Musicians who can act. Athletes who can perform. Actors who can sing. But sometimes, I really think that people should just stick to what they know. The prompting for this post? The "much awaited" album entitled "Anywhere I Lay My Head" from none other than the alluring/girl next door actress Scarlet Johanssen.

Now let me say that usually I am all about actors exhibiting their musical talents. I loved that Nicole Kidman and Ewan MacGregor sang their brains out in Moulin Rouge. I've always loved Will Smith. When Hulk Hogan put his album out back in the day, I was the first one in line. Ok, I wasn't in line for that album and frankly neither was anyone else. But all that to say that I am all for famous people exhibiting an previously undisclosed musical talent. However, with that said, Scarlet Johannsen does not fall anywhere near that category. Not even close. In fact, she doesn't even deserve an "A" (or any other grade) for effort. Her singing is just downright terrible.

After hearing her first single on local indy radio, I sampled the rest of the album online and found it to be just as bad if not worse. The immediate comparison that I can liken her singing to is a Canada goose on heroine being recorded in a subway tunnel. In fact her tone is so bad they had to cover it with about 10 different effects which still doesn't fix the fact that she is remarkably off key. And I don't mean in a charming, quirky Bob Dylan way. If they put a pitch corrector on her, it would sound like a Chris Brown song.

I guess what bothers me the most is the fact that she didn't do anything to warrant releasing her own album. She paid someone to write, arrange, perform (sans vocals), record and produce the entire thing. And, the production is very good. The songs are well written. It should just be someone else's face on the cover and someone else's voice singing the songs. Someone that doesn't sound like Sasquatch doing an Amy Winehouse impression.

Stick to acting Scarlet. It's easier on my ears.

2 comments:

Phil said...

I can just see the conversation right now between Scarlett and her agent.

Agent: So, you can sing?

SJ:Yes, I've been doing it for years.

Agent: Well what did you have in mind?

SJ: I don't know. Who's really cool?

Agent: Uh . . .

SJ: Hold on, I'm getting a text from Dakoda Fanning

Agent: Uh . . .

SJ: She says I should sing old guy songs

Agent: Old guy songs?

SJ: Yeah, you know Bob Dylan or Tom Waits. Yeah, Tom Waits. I love him.

Agent: Yeah, I don't know, even I wouldn't stoop that low.

SJ: If Lindsey Lohan can do it so can I.

Agent shoots himself.

Unknown said...

Phil...that comment was amazingly funny!

Dayton...couldn't agree with you more. What annoys me even more is when they try to become my political analyst. Thanks Sheryl and the rest of you that think that just cause you get to be on a stage that we give a rats !%!@#! what you think about politics. Nothing from any of your songs has ever really caused me to think all that deeply so why would your political views do that?

Then again, actors seem to think they can do anything, so why NOT singing? ugh...maybe she should try boxing next